Saturday, December 18, 2010

SNOWMEGEDON DECEMBER 2010

 One week ago today the snow was falling like something fierce.   In my line of work there is no "closing".  Knowing the night before my, Husband Rick, readied the 1 Ton-4x4 1993 Ford F350 for me.  The snow was predicted to start falling around midnight with 3-5 inches on the ground by the time I was making my way to work at 0530.  The worst of the snowfall was to be between the hours of 0600 and Noon.  After this then more snow with winds gusting giving us the Blizzard like conditions.





As the day wore on, it was apparent that it was going to get much nastier then everyone had anticipated.  Working in Public Safety can be trying on "normal" weather days.  But this was just down right CRAZY!  We had Ambulances, Fire Engines and squad cars stuck all over the place.  At one point we needed to send a replacement Medic Rig because one of the stations just could not get out due to the pile up of cars in front of there location.  We called in City and County Maintanence Crews to assist with getting Public Safety Vehicles unstuck in emergency situations. 

When we get weather like this some police departments will implement the "MORGAN" plan.  That is, we only respond to emergency calls.  No report calls!  No my ex-boyfriend took my ipod.  Basically medicals, fires, accidents and domestics.   On this particular day all agencies went on the MORGAN plan.

By 2:00 pm.  Most cities had pulled their plow trucks.  The Metro Bus Company pulled their Buses.  And I was wondering how was I going to drive the 17 miles home.   Well, needless to say, I did make it home that night about and hour and a half.  

As I walked into the comforts of my warm home at about 5:30 pm.  I immediately took a shower, put on warm flannel pajama's and cracked myself a nice cold beer.

I was off on Sunday.  And I stayed in those PJ's all day long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment